Thursday, October 11, 2012

A great day to be an elementary ed. major!

I can't even begin to explain how wonderful today was. Math started my morning off great with learning how to multiply using the lattice method. For those of you who are like me and had no experience with this method in grade school, here's an example:

It's actually pretty fun! I wish we would have had this option around when I was in grade school. Anyway, after math, we watched an amazing movie in Intro to Education. If you've never seen Waiting for "Superman," I would highly recommend going out to rent it.

Finally, I ended my day in Educational Technology. We used the whole class to do some various craft projects that can be implemented in our future classrooms. First, our professor bought everyone in the class a little hand sanitizer spray pen. She wanted us to keep it to use with our future students. If I see them sneeze into their hands, I can whip out my handy-dandy antibacterial spray and have a bit more peace of mind. Everyone in the class had to designed a new cover for our spay bottles, so they look cute for when we use them later. Here's how mine turned out:







After that, we moved on to picture tiles. These are tiny little tiles that come together in a sheet from Home Depot. First, we mod podged a picture of our choosing onto a tile and glued a magnet to the back. I chose my favorite picture of my mom and me.


We were also given pictures that were an example of a classroom management tool. When taking the lunch order in the morning, kids can move the right food item to their name on a magnetic board. You could also put a picture of each child on a tile and have them move their tile to either "Hot Lunch" or "Cold Lunch." It's also a great way to take attendance. I plan on implementing some sort of a system like this in my own classroom someday.


Finally, we used scrap-booking paper, ribbon, glue, and two thin pieces of cardboard to make this adorable little flip book! We made some of our photos into photo-strips last week using photoshop (Oh, how I STRUGGLED), so we put our leftover photos in our books. I love how it turned out, and I'm thinking it will make a nice, cheap gift idea for later. 


Well, that pretty much sums it up! It was definitely a day that affirmed my choice of major! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment