Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Crayon Art

Over a year ago, I saw a cool crayon melting project on a blog. I was fascinated! I HAD to try it for myself. Since I work at a craft store when I'm home from school, I had all of the materials at my disposal. I bought a stretched canvas, crayons, a hot glue gun, and some hot glue sticks.


This was the picture that I saw on the blog. Can you understand why I was so obsessed with the idea?? It's beautiful! Anyway, I glued my crayons to the top of my canvas and started heating up the crayons until the wax started to melt.
*I would recommend doing it outside in the garage or somewhere with good ventilation. I once set the smoke detector off in my dorm room...)

I used a hair dryer that was HIGH heat and LOW air pressure. If it blows too much air, the wax splatters a bit. Here's what I ended up with:


I LOVED it!
In fact, I loved it so much, I made several more. I went out and bought an embossing gun, because I knew it would melt the crayons faster. Most crafty stores carry them. If you're considering making a bunch of these projects, I would suggest using an embossing gun over a hair dryer. It will save you a lot of time.

Over the course of the year, I tried to get more creative and think of different ways to display the melted crayons. Here are the rest of my projects:






 
 
I decided to make one of these for my practicum teacher as a thank you. She FREAKED out when she saw it (in a good way), and I swear, I got three hugs from her that day.
 
Many of my pieces will be displayed in my future classroom. They are bright and fun, and the kids absolutely love them. I have also been brainstorming ways to incorporate crayon melting into a lesson, so the kids can see how it's done.
 
 If you've never made crayon art before, give it a try!  :)
 




3 comments: